A comprehensive dental exam will be performed by Dr. Shelden at your initial dental visit. At regular exams, Dr. Shelden and hygienist will include the following:
- Examination of diagnostic x-rays: Needed for detection of decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions for procedures such as implants.
- Oral cancer screening: Check the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer. This is a must for prevention.
- Gum disease evaluation: Check the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease.
- Examination of tooth decay: All tooth surfaces will be checked for decay.
- Examination of existing restorations: Check current fillings, crowns, etc. for chipping, cracking and other possible damage that will need repaired either immediately or in the foreseeable future.
Professional Dental Cleaning
Professional dental cleanings are usually performed by Registered Dental Hygienists. Your cleaning appointment will include a dental exam and the following:
- Removal of calculus (tartar): Calculus is hardened plaque that has been left on the tooth for some time and is now firmly attached to the tooth surface. Calculus forms above and below the gum line and can only be removed with special dental instruments. Waiting to clean your teeth for more than six months can cause build up of tartar and be more difficult to remove.
- Removal of plaque: Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film that forms on the teeth. It is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris, and saliva. The bacteria produce toxins or poisons that inflame the gums. This inflammation is the start of periodontal disease and should be addressed immediately.
- Teeth polishing: Remove stain and plaque that is not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling. If your teeth cannot be polished to your satisfaction, make sure you ask us about our teeth whitening special.